How can we support our recovering loved ones when "social distancing" during COVID-19 pandemic?

We’re being asked to stay home, avoid public places. This kind of isolation may be triggering for some of our loved ones in recovery. How is everyone feeling about the current situation?

I’ve been thinking a lot about this. My husband is still going to meetings, although they aren’t holding hands at the end and he’s reduced the number of meetings for the time being. We’ve seen a LOT of online meetings being offered through SMART, In the Rooms, and a few sober bloggers I follow (Carly Benson, Laura McKowen) have opened up free virtual meetings to provide support as well.

We are fortunate to live in a place where the weather is allowing for us to spend time outside today, not close to people, but getting vitamin D and feeling connected to nature which is important to both of us. My husband also has a list of things to do around the house to keep himself busy, as boredom was a big trigger for him. We are also taking time to meditate together and he’s reading recovery books nightly. I think I’m more anxious about it all than he is and we are both thankful that he’s sober and present for it.

This would have been a very different post five months ago, so I am sending so much love to anyone who is living with someone in active addiction during this time. I hope we all employ our best self-care tactics and stay well :heart:

Thanks for posting on this topic. It’s definitely a concern I have with my boyfriend as he began a recovery plan 3 weeks ago and has been attending in-person meetings. I’m concerned about the isolation that social distancing will put on him and us and also how it impact his recovery. We don’t live together and our work schedules are so different that we end up spending little time together. We both have elderly parents with health conditions and we don’t want to take risks for their sake. So…we’re staying connected with phone, FaceTime and text. We even tried playing chess online. I am concerned that the boredom will be hard for him to cope with. We’re trying to be creative but definitely an area of concern and we could use some tips :slight_smile: Stay safe everyone!

Awareness of triggers, both our loved ones’ and our own, is so important! Knowing what might set off unhealthy behaviors and being proactive - amazing. Glad you guys are able to get some Vitamin D. It’s still pretty cold and dreary here so we’ll be stuck in the house a bit. Keeping busy with house projects and Legos/movies/crafts with the little. Thank you for sharing, @Tlee22!

This has been something I am having a lot of anxiety about. My S/O has been in recovery for almost 90 days. He relies on his in-person meetings. We have been just trying various locations and this week we have found a couple so that has been good. I feel bad though because a lot of his regular guys are kind of not meeting regularly right now. I purchased Russell Brand’s Commune Recovery. We did step one this week. Usually he does a lot of meetings on his own, and him and I will attend Recovery Dharma and/or AA/Alanon a couple times a week. I do believe due to lack of meetings and my anxiety I have been doing more than I normally would to help him get to meetings (he can’t drive) I don’t mind at all. I’m happy to help and be a support, but I do miss our regular recovery routines. And really I miss being at work and having more things to do in other ways besides worrying about his recovery.

How is everyone doing now? The meetings in our area have almost moved underground, so my husband can only attend one small one per week in person and it’s been a little too easy to skip the online ones, although he’s keeping up with daily meditation, journaling, and reading about recovery. A big part of my self-care is exercise, which thankfully, I do a lot of at home anyways so I’m hoping my husband will join in on those with me as something to fill time that is productive and can also help with recovery. @Jess, my husband did a Russell Brand program through Commune and really liked it! They do short free programs often, so that’s a good reminder to look into what they might be offering right now that we could do together as well. I love all the IG lives and online offerings people are doing right now, it feels like a strong sense of online community is emerging, which is cool to see.

Hope you’re all staying healthy and well!

We are doing surprisingly well. My husband has been spending more time in the garage smoking cigarettes and gaming, which has been triggering for me, but I’m trying to let that go and understand that during this time, it’s his way of getting out of the house and getting some space. Which is totally understandable. I’ve been keeping up with Al-Anon, helping my home group organize a virtual meeting, so that’s keeping me busy. Lots of FaceTime and Zoom chats. I’m a huge introvert so I feel like I’m actually being more social with all the video chats and checking in with people haha! My husband doesn’t go to meetings and isn’t into cameras or virtual meeting. I wish he’d pick back up some of his more creative hobbies like music or art or writing instead of just video gaming, but also just trying to let that go because I can’t force any of that stuff on him. Instead, I’ve been playing video games with him!

Thanks for checking back in @Tlee22 - sounds like you guys are hanging in there pretty well! @SnowOwl26 @Jess - How are you doing?