What if a loved one has no motivation to change?

communication

@Marigold I there :hugs: My mom is an addict in her 60s who lives in Lake Elsinore about 4 hours away from me. I havenā€™t had much of a relationship with her until this past year with the help of the Village :wink: I realized that I didnā€™t want to regret not making more of an effort to feel connected to her in case anything happened to her. She lives a very volatile, unexpected life and things could go south fast with her. She can never stay in one place for long. My uncle described it as if she was on one side of the street she would just have to go to the other side of the street cuz she couldnā€™t stand being where she was anymore, and back and forth and so on. She has left so many rehabs Iā€™ve lost count. Sheā€™s been on the streets before too when no one would take her in because she was just too drunk. Iā€™m glad she has like 1 or 2 people there that let her stay with them but time to time but itā€™s hard to not really know where she is. Thankfully she does have a cell phone and we talk and text quiet often. :pray: Iā€™ve been making it a point to really get to know her. What she liked to do for fun when she was younger? What kind of music she likes? Whatā€™s her favorite meal to make? Does your mom like to cook? Maybe the next time you see her you can make her favorite meal together. Does she like going out in nature at all? Maybe take her to a beautiful scenic area where you can both just soak up the sun and breath the fresh air while you tell each other funny stories. Laughter is key :key: Well I hope this helps a little and Iā€™ll be praying that your mom becomes more receptive of the love and care you have for her. Hope the Christmas card idea goes well! :slight_smile:ļø

Anytime, @Marigold Thatā€™s what weā€™re here for! !:heartpulse:

Thanks for sharing @carolzevallos I imagine thatā€™s hard, your mom moving around a lot :pensive: Nice that she has a few people she can trust and a phone for texting - and you to build a relationship with :slight_smile:ļø

I will keep trying, and loving. If my mom wants to receive it, itā€™ll be there.