Why is drinking a bottle of wine to wind down necessary?

recovery
self-care
alcohol

Got home tonight and husband is feeling bad because he drank a bottle of wine. Not the healthiest way to de-stress after work. And he’s far enough into his recovery that he feels bad about it. What’s the substitute? How do we change these habits! Gah! Tiring.

Feeling like @C_Stoike
How long until I can relax?

Just a bump in the road I hope. My fiance has done this many times, what’s worked for her is having a relapse prevention plan all mapped out and sticking to it. What I’ve suggested is trying to integrate healthy de-stressing habits into their lives over the course of 30 days until it’s second nature to us. Could be anything from hitting the gym, maybe your vedic meditation, any hobbies he might have or could have that could attempt to replace drinking as the go to de-stressor. I know for me my go to de-stresser is and has always been exercise or drawing for like 4 hours at a time haha. It is definitely tough though to help someone else develop healthier coping habits, I’ve been trying with my fiance since we’ve been together and it’s still off and on with the habits.
I hoping for the best for ya :blush:

So tiring @polly! Is there a type of wine he likes less that you’d still like to have in the house? Maybe help discourage him with something he’s less interested in… red instead of white, cheap TJs wine instead of the nice stuff?!

I feel like CBD could be a real game changer for addiction. My fiance uses it when she has it and she says it literally destroys any cravings she might have, no desire to use at all. On top of that she gets a good night’s sleep, helps her with her appetite, helps her anxiety and depression.

Hi Haha I love it. Well he has a hard time slowing down and unwinding. Tonight we went to a meditation class with friends and we bought some cbd oil drops - we’re going to give it a whirl. I don’t know much about it but if it’s harmless and helps him relax and sleep then that could be really helpful! He hadn’t really wanted to take more clinical meds for it.

Typical addictive behavior - tell them it’s medicine for their health and they don’t want it, but drugs that aren’t legal or good for you then… !

That’s amazing. I’m really excited to try it - I mean for him to try it! I think he’d wake up feeling a lot better if he didn’t have to have a bottle of wine and two shots of vodka!

I’ll let you know how it goes.