What topic do you want us to cover for next week's digital meetup?

Let us know what’s most pressing for you right now, and be sure to register HERE

Recently, I’ve been exhausted and depressed from the multiple relapses and slips I have seen with my boyfriend. I’m starting to lose hope and I just keep waiting for him to slip every time he’s better and I feel guilty that I don’t trust him to get better. I’m sure it’s frustrating for him too. How do we encourage and motivate our addicted loved one when we ourselves have lost motivation?

I can relate to this. I’m starting to learn the signs Usually a relapse will start a few days after my boyfriend says ”I’ve never felt happier than I do now and I have absolutely no desire to use.” The first coupe of times I was so happy to hear this, but now I know it means he’s in slippery territory. I am trying to love with detachment that I’ve learned about in al-anon. It’s difficult to do, especially for people like me, who have learned from an early age that love means to worry, to obsess, or trying to save/change the other person. I have to say that I’m doing better for each relapse. I’m at the point now where I think i might just have to live with the relapses, and accept that it is part of being in a relationship with this person. It doesn’t mean it will always be that way, but I can’t afford (emotionally) to have certain hopes and expectations and continue to be disappointed. I am not willing to get on that emotional roller coaster anymore. His relapse doesn’t have to be my relapse. So I focus on things I can control - playing with my son, taking dance classes, calling friends, breathing, planning a trip, taking a walk in the woods, and find ways to release emotions (often I cry the whole walk in the woods and then I can come back and not yell at my kid for no particular reason). It takes discipline. I’m learning and taking one day/hour/minute at a time. Someone told me that I might try to find a place where there’s no hope or hopelessness - a neutral place. Sounded harsh at first, but maybe there’s something to that.

@Selfcare31 when I find myself getting overwhelmed and reacting in ways I later wish I hadn’t, it can be an indicator that I’m being stretched beyond my limits. So #1 is Self Care. Maybe taking a holiday from the situation, can you perhaps plan to get some space and take care of yourself and return with a bit more patience and perspective? Ask someone to stand in for you while you get a break (however short or long.) Also, having the support of others can be really beneficial for both of you!

Thanks @Jane. He will be out of town next week actually because he will be at a work conference with his mom and sister. I think it will be a great time for me to just reset and refresh my mind and energy.