The Newcomer's Welcome: What brings you to Village?

welcome
newcomer

I heard about this community on the podcast In Recovery. I have a 20 yo son who is in active substance abuse. His drugs of choice are cocaine, xanex, marijuana, and alcohol. Although I don’t know the combinations of each. My husband and I look at the problem differently, however, I think my husband is ready to work together to get our son help. I would like to know more about cocaine abuse and the treatment of it.

Hi @longhornmom, thanks for joining us here. My husband’s primary substance use disorder was with cocaine so I can imagine some of what you might be experiencing with your son. It’s not easy to break ties with but it is possible :slight_smile:

I heard about this community from “in Recovery” podcast with Dr Inzinga Harris. I’m married to an alcoholic who’s in recovery. He is trying to quit drinking because of me, so that’s another way of saying that if I’m not around, he drinks. When I go on a trip, he drinks and when I have to work and he has a day off, he drinks. And of course, he lies about it.

If I take a snapshot of the last 5 years, I can see how much better things are now, but every time that he drinks I feel like I’m right back in the middle of the worst of it.

I’m here because I know that I need community.

I heard about wethevillage.co from the In Recovery podcast with Nzginga Harrison. After perusing a bit it seemed like I could both offer help & get help on here. Help for me with dealing with the addicts & alcoholics in my life. Its not always clear to me where the draw the line between what I can do and what I have to leave to them.

Thanks for being here wethevillage, this is cool stuff.

It’s been too long since I’ve done one of these and unfortunately I’m not going to capture everyone, so if I miss you please jump in and introduce yourself too! We’re thrilled to welcome all our new village members.
Sending out a Warm #WednesdayWelcome to (just some of) our 94 new members :
@simplylisa @labratinidaho @Fiffi @maureencat0 @Jeepgirl @potato @StrongerTogether @jeffcott1 @Laura_Lunger @Taylorbrenn @Cpacioni @Mnp @Mimzianna @Lorie_Sivongxay_Hami @banon @butteredtoasts @jjp @Mmiles @Haleymbell @Jb3 @Cjgogo @Sydneygirl @Nina78 @Whit @Ginger_Ramage @Sarah1910 @Savanna08 @Anavil @jonesink @Blossom17 @Tinabelle @heytheredeliliah @SMarker @worship @Ethna_Milakini @lennie900 @Josie @kmcdaniel66 @Nicol30 @Kat007 @ODDnySS @IndigoWish @Ra_De_La @PWO @Jfb @AliJ @Mandylou @Tabatha_Bennett @Shelly4b @sjmks @Barbara_Adams @Robyne_Irish @eousness @Eltrent @carelion @jody @Nmabery @Giulia_Cardillo-Smit @kitty @lu-lu @benevolencefarm @Skyy @aml @frances @Connor174 @kaon @efontenot101 @jg12 @ronnaldo @longhornmom @Mother @newnoz @JewelC608 @villager1 @Hausercr @TerrieBreaux @Zel @lmbowers @Chicosage @PBstorm @kirkporth @Whitedove @Ltd44 @mkb54 @Mak @LLLBC @Sherrir01 @Sara @ciambella @Dencat @aken @akdono @bethdenhof @Cyg22 @Deanna1

If you haven’t yet, please take 5 minutes to:

1. Say ‘hi!’ on this thread & tell us where you’re typing from and how the Community can best support you.
  2. Find one question that you feel comfortable to answer! Every question or answer added honestly makes this place a more valuable resource for all .

And why have I been so quiet?

We’re a small team and were piloting our evidence-based program through a clinical trial + Covid-19! We have just completed a successful clinical trial on the Course we’re now glad to be able to offer to all our members who deserve the best skills to fight addiction.

If you want to try something that’s proven to work, designed for you, the friends and family concerned about a loved one’s addiction, then click HERE to get started now!

Can’t wait to help you feel better and finally get your loved one through addiction recovery <3

Awesome, thanks so much for being here @jg12 - grateful to learn from you and support one another.

Hi, I am from Plymouth MN. I have 4 children, three of them are addicted to substances. I am a single mom, because of abuse and addiction. My main concern right now is my 15 year old daughter with mental health and addiction. I just need support and validation. She states I am the worst mom ever. She beats me up emotionally. She is manipulative, impulsive, and hurtful. But I love her. She is funny, loves to dance, and smart. I believe she will come out of this strong. But I am beaten down right now. Thanks for being here.

Hi! I came here from the In Recovery podcast. I’m trying to support and encourage my beautiful sister who struggles with anxiety, depression, and alcoholism. Thanks for this great community.

I came to this sight thru the podcast In Recovery. My loved one has been in his addiction for 11 years and I have been trying to learn for 11 years how to be a parent to someone who is living in active addiction.

What a beautiful introduction @Dencat thank you for sharing so openly. I love what you said about seeing the beauty in your daughter while at the same time feeling the hurt of her actions. I think we can all relate to that. You are among peers here. You are doing the best you can and no one prepares us to face addiction in a loved one.
That’s why We The Village exists. Thank you for being here.

Hi, I am Amy and I am dating a recovering opioid addict. I found you through Last Day Podcast and In Recovery Podcast. When we first got together he let me know that he had struggled with opioids, specifically heroin in the past but it did not really register what that meant. Does that make sense? I have zero experience with drug experimentation or misuse. As the Last Day Podcast unfolded so did my boyfriends sobriety, the podcast went from being informational to terrifying. He admitted he had relapsed Christmas Eve 2019 and was using suboxone and heroin. The shame and secrecy surrounding addiction and opioids have made this journey more strange and lonely than I ever imagined. Things were getting better, he was taking suboxone, going to therapy, working on a degree at the local trade school and moving forward then COVID happened, school shut down and he lost some of his direction. On June 1st he broke his arm and my first thought was pain management. He relapsed, it was terrible and scary. He is working hard in his recovery. I am trying to learn and grow, I am working with a therapist. I love him very much. This is hard.

Sending out a Warm #WednesdayWelcome to our 8 new members :
If you haven’t yet, please take 5 minutes to: @akdono @bethdenhof @Cyg22 @Deanna1 @Samus5418 @Jengaboss @littlebluebird

1. Say ‘hi!’ on this thread & tell us where you’re typing from and how the Community can best support you.
  2. Find one question that you feel comfortable to answer! Every question or answer added honestly makes this place a more valuable resource for all .

One announcement:

We just launched our 7 day free trial with the Course options so now you can try before you buy. With your 7 day free trial: access the course, meet your coach, cancel anytime.
Click HERE TO START FREE TRIAL NOW

Launch pricing won’t last, so now’s the time to try something new: the program that’s designed for you, with the complete skillset proven to work!

We can’t wait for you to see the results your other community members have achieved for themselves and their loved ones in addiction recovery.

Hello … frustration and sadness over my daughters alcoholism has b roughtme here to learn and share. she is 33, an alcoholic for the past 3-4 years. due to her alcoholism and poor relationship choices, she lost custody of her daughter who is now 4 and living w/ her dad. her pattern - one week binge, detox, rehab, home, then repeat. so far this year - 7 times. her health and mental status is declining. she was also recently diagnosed w an eating disorder (anorexia) which complicates matters of course. we are having trouble seeing a light at the end of this very long tunnel. she lives a distance away so we do not see her but talk w/ her every couple of days. currently in a residential facility for ED and alcoholism. we are not feeling optimistic. insurance has covered most of her residential stays (5 different rehabs since january). she can be kind and loving one moment and the next- defensive and angry (borderline personality disorder). she does well in a facility when she has no access to alcohol. unfortunately you can’t stay in a facility for months on end. she is running out of options. her next step will likely be another sober house as she is unable to live alone. once released we have no idea how to help her … or if we should. thank you and i’m sorry if this sounds depressing but it it is. thank you in advance for advice, encouragement !

Thanks for sharing @villager1 so tough to watch someone we love go through the addiction rollercoaster. Has your daughter come across a book called: Quit Like A Woman written by @Holly on instagram and she runs online sobriety support specifically for people around alcohol use and quite a female perspective. It can be good to experiment with trying new options. I’m reading (and enjoying) her book currently and it’s really informative and human so far.
Also, have you considered our course for family members? It can help to try different approaches as the people surrounding her too.
Keep us posted, all my best,
Jane

Sending out a Warm #WednesdayWelcome to our 11 new members :
If you haven’t yet, please take 5 minutes to: @Brandon_Jarrod_Frank @Gigi @KTK @Laura11 @Laura_W @Mengland @cotdana @chelseams @mhperson @navinj76 @heatherdee

And since you’re joining us here in the Village Community, you’re probably ready to try something new that’s proven to work - we hope you’ll consider trying our Course - proven in NIDA Clinical Trial pilot, and there’s a 7-day free trial available for Community members.

Click HERE TO START NOW

Sending out a Warm #WednesdayWelcome to our 9 new members : @Aleshia_Marie_Kane @Emk8 @Renee_312 @BLM54 @columba @Mambo10 @girograce @aroslife @Kathy

And since you’re joining us here in the Village Community, you’re probably ready to try something new that’s proven to work - we hope you’ll try our Course to learn skills that work (sooner rather than later!) - proven in NIDA Clinical Trial pilot, and there’s a 7-day free trial available for Community members.

Click HERE TO START NOW

Sending out a Warm #WednesdayWelcome to our 11 new members :
If you haven’t yet, please take 5 minutes to: @Jayme @Catherine_Lewis_Ward @Bjefferson @Samandkev @Eliza52585 @Pat @Barloony @ejpodgurski @NikkiT @Katthy @snakehipped

And since you’re joining us here in the Village Community, you’re probably ready to try something new that’s proven to work - we hope you’ll try our Course to learn skills that work (sooner rather than later!) - proven in NIDA Clinical Trial pilot, and there’s a 7-day free trial available for Community members.

Click HERE TO START NOW

Hello. I have a 19-year-old son that’s in recovery from cocaine and marijuana addiction. We kicked him out a year ago and he’s been sober ever since . I’ve joined the support group for the understanding of others courage strength and hope. This resource can help me stay in my lane and out of his business. Thank you for the support group.

Hello! I’m here seeking to come to terms with my husband’s addiction and to work on detaching so that I can continue to heal and be present for our children. I grew up in an addict household and in a family with addiction issues. I have struggled with alcohol dependency as a coping mechanism, and I’m fortunate in that I no longer cope in this way. I am hopeful that I can break the cycle on my side so that I can be genuinely happy regardless of whether my husband is using. I hope to continue to create a safe and affirming environment so that the kids and I can be empowered to face life’s challenges.

Sending out a Warm #WednesdayWelcome to our 9 new members: @Foxquixotic @Girlinthemirror @Rbrion @tlneil @universoulight @jessica1 @Caspian @Naomie_Moore_Vlahoge @Angela_Williams

Click HERE TO BEGIN