On and off relationship for too long - how do we detox from a person?

relationship

I am a recovering addict. I mostly just used while in the relationship with my ex. I just ended thing for the OMG I don’t even know how many times. He ended up using again. One night he has an all out tantrum when I just began telling him what I hear him saying like the psychology of actually listening kicked in. He threw something against the wall. Yelled wanted it to be over. Anyway I’m glad. I’m free. But after I was crying 8 hours from my family or anyone else I knew, and thought how do I detox a person? How do you detox a person?

Unfortunately my partner is a meth addict and I can’t get him to go get clean. It’s his choice. And I’m sure you understand that, it’s impossible for us to sober up another person. I’d go through some of his pain to help. But it’s ultimately his choice, we are on a break. He told me he “has to be firm that we are over”. But we both know that’s what he tells me while he goes out and gets high for a week or two until he misses me.

Anyways, while he’s high I have to take care of myself. I took up a pottery class two years ago. I go to a swim team two or three times a week. It’s a great way for me to be forced to socialize and exercise.
Ask yourself what things you’ve been wishing you could do with your free time, and do it!!! This is your life make it the life you want.

Thank you for sharing @huckjb13 so smart :slight_smile:

Anyways, while he’s high I have to take care of myself. I took up a pottery class two years ago. I go to a swim team two or three times a week. It’s a great way for me to be forced to socialize and exercise.
Ask yourself what things you’ve been wishing you could do with your free time, and do it!!! This is your life make it the life you want.

@Lobee123 thank you for sharing, it can be so painful to love someone who continues to hurt themselves with harmful substance use. Just wanting to clarify here - are you saying ‘how do we detox from a relationship with a person’ or more literally ‘how do we help someone to detox’?

or both? :slight_smile: :heartbeat:

Detox the person. Like it’s just been on and off again so much I still have love in there, but my heart’s done. My hopes done. My son is more important. So I guess just naturally detoxed unknowingly