Is it an addiction or a problem?

recovery
alcohol
opiates

My boyfriend is over 1 year alcohol-free. However, for the past two months, he has been taking oxy to get high. He does not have any access to it anymore at least that I know of, but he calls the Oxy a problem and not an addiction. He hasn’t taken any oxy in over a week. I am not sure how to get him help. He won’t go to rehab. He got himself Narcan before I even brought it up to him. Can it be a problem and not an addiction?

Hi @Nora,

Does it make a difference to you whether it’s called a “problem” or an “addiction”? My personal opinion is that it doesn’t matter what you call it, the only thing that matters is if you’re okay with that behavior or not.

If you’re not, what boundaries are you prepared to put in place for yourself if he continues to use?

My boyfriend is over 1 year alcohol-free. Hi @Nora :slightly_smiling_face:
However, for the past two months, he has been taking oxy to get high. Uh oh. Sorry to hear that.:roll_eyes:
He does not have any access to it anymore at least that I know of. Maybe. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
but he calls the Oxy a problem and not an addiction. What he calls it is 100% his thing. :100:
He hasn’t taken any oxy in over a week. Maybe. :zipper_mouth_face:
I am not sure how to get him help. The COURSE is where you can learn how to get him help. :smiley:
He won’t go to rehab. There are lots of ways to get better. it’s different for everybody. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
He got himself Narcan before I even brought it up to him. I don’t know a lot about this, but from what I’ve learned at WetheVillage, it’s a good thing to have around if you have someone who is actively using Oxy. :white_check_mark:
Can it be a problem and not an addiction? This is a good place to clarify your thinking about this. Good luck. :four_leaf_clover:

I feel like addicts go from one to the next if it’s just as simple as a trip to.the store everyday at the same time for a pop, lottery tickets, an addiction is an addiction I have seen this several times with my fiancee now and it’s just sad to watch, I have come to the conclusion that only he can fix himself. I’m praying for all in this group :pray:

Thanks for your post @acarper74 - it’s been a while, how are things going now?

We are all responsible for making our own changes, as you say, only he can fix himself AND we can also influence their behavior by the way we interact with them. AND we can do so in ways that are proven to change addiction behaviors. With the right skills we have a lot of power through our interactions with our loved one to change things in positive ways related to their addiction and recovery.

Have you considered joining our proven program? We have a Group Course starting this week! It starts on Tuesday September 7th @ 7-8pm EST, and will run weekly at that same day/time for 12 weeks, so it’d be the perfect time to join with peers and expert coach to learn these skills and the rest of our proven framework to use in your relationship - you can sign up for the Group Course HERE.

Hello,
As a Mental Health Professional my opinion will be you should go to a Psychiatrist for a evaluation and then discuss and decide either it is a problem or ADDICTION(disease), there is a huge difference between problem and addiction. Addiction is a disease, you need to understand about disease and try to cure it or manage it. In problem you can find the solution and you will move forward but in disease it is not as simple as it to solve any problem. As you mentioned that he is suffering Alcoholism/Addiction, and it is a life long issue, So every addict person has to stay away from each and every addictive substances because he has no control power. So the person will substitute his substance or get back to his old substance.
That’s my personal opinion, If anything wrong please correct me.
Thanks.