Is it an addiction or a problem?

opiates
relationship
alcohol

My boyfriend is over 1 year alcohol-free. However, for the past two months, he has been taking oxy to get high. He does not have any access to it anymore at least that I know of, but he calls the Oxy a problem and not an addiction. He hasn’t taken any oxy in over a week. I am not sure how to get him help. He won’t go to rehab. He got himself Narcan before I even brought it up to him. Can it be a problem and not an addiction?

Hi @Nora,

Does it make a difference to you whether it’s called a “problem” or an “addiction”? My personal opinion is that it doesn’t matter what you call it, the only thing that matters is if you’re okay with that behavior or not.

If you’re not, what boundaries are you prepared to put in place for yourself if he continues to use?

My boyfriend is over 1 year alcohol-free. Hi @Nora :slightly_smiling_face:
However, for the past two months, he has been taking oxy to get high. Uh oh. Sorry to hear that.:roll_eyes:
He does not have any access to it anymore at least that I know of. Maybe. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
but he calls the Oxy a problem and not an addiction. What he calls it is 100% his thing. :100:
He hasn’t taken any oxy in over a week. Maybe. :zipper_mouth_face:
I am not sure how to get him help. The COURSE is where you can learn how to get him help. :smiley:
He won’t go to rehab. There are lots of ways to get better. it’s different for everybody. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
He got himself Narcan before I even brought it up to him. I don’t know a lot about this, but from what I’ve learned at WetheVillage, it’s a good thing to have around if you have someone who is actively using Oxy. :white_check_mark:
Can it be a problem and not an addiction? This is a good place to clarify your thinking about this. Good luck. :four_leaf_clover: