How to respond to cravings or urges?

communication

I’m curious as to how you respond when your loved one battling substance addiction says they are having cravings or urges to getting high/drunk. I want my boyfriend to let me know when he is struggling but when he does, I never have a good response. I tend to say nothing at all because I don’t want to say the wrong thing. I’d appreciate your insight.

I ask what he thinks might be triggering the cravings, and what I can do to help. I tell him thank you for telling me.

Him sharing with you is definitely a good thing but yeah, it is scary and I get what you mean about saying the wrong thing. Have you tried telling him that you appreciate his honesty, you understand how hard it is to open up about it, you want him to keep doing it, but you don’t know the best way to respond? He’s being honest with you so go ahead and be honest right back. Find out exactly from him what he needs from you in that moment. :pray:t4::sparkles:

Thank you for your response. I have told him how I never really know what to say and he tells me I don’t have to say anything. But I want to be able to talk about it when it gets brought up. Next time I will use your advice in trying to engage and get to the bottom of it.