Have you ever used / worked with an interventionist and what was it like?

communication

The idea of engaging an interventionist came up recently in answer to another question, and I’m wondering what people’s experiences have been like on this subject matter.

How did you find one?

What makes a good intervention/ist?

What do they do?

What was the outcome for you?

What do we do if someone doesn't want to recover?

Yes the facility I work with has an Arise trained interventionist. The purpose of an interventionist is to help families navigate ways to help their loved one. Together they sit down with the person in need and help them understand why it would be best to seek further help. Sometimes families are so burnt out and just can’t get the message across, so an interventionist will intervene and use techniques to explain why and how treatment will help them. The best way to find a solid one would be to go through a good treatment center. Any solid treatment center provides an interventionist, for instance we provide one, your only cost is plane fair and hotel.

We had 2. The first was an intervention by an outside source. Didn’t work. The second one, our loved one was desperate to get out of the mess and come home. We had an intervention of sorts & that one worked.

Awesome that you tried again even after an unsuccessful first attempt, @Jill_Seiter. Can you share a little more? Where did you learn how to facilitate your own intervention? What exactly did you do or say to make it successful? I think your insight would be helpful to many!