Cheating anxiety

alcohol

My boyfriend has been in rehab for alcohol for about 10 days, I’m terribly concerned about the potential of him cheating. He’s not usually that type to have a wandering eye but after reading so many stories about partners finding mates in rehab its unnerving. I love my bf and he says he loves me and wants better for us but alcoholics use deception to hide drinking and nasty words to cover it up when caught. Thats zaps trust. Maybe I’m stupid for thinking this way but I want things to get back to our loving normal but the threat of cheating…plus no communication is taking its toll. Plus one of the reviews of the facility specifically mentioned lax supervision at night and sexual activity occurring.

Hi @Stephy. How are you and your boyfriend doing now? I’m glad he’s in rehab and working on recovery.

Trust is one of the hardest things that we loved ones struggle with when we’ve been lied to so much. The truth is, we’ll never fully know what another person is going to do, and we’ll never have control over that. What we can control is how we react and how we take care of ourselves. I’ve learned that trust in myself and trust in something greater is much stronger than trust in another person. I trust that no matter what happens, I will be okay because I’ve worked on my own recovery, and I have the tools and support needed to cope in any situation. I trust that my husband loves me and that he doesn’t want to hurt me. I trust that we are both human and we make mistakes and we do recover.

Try searching “trust” on this site and you’ll see tons of threads that discuss how others have built back trust. You are not alone!