As things improve how do you know when it’s time to allow children to return to their parents home?

children

I am currently guardian of my two grandchildren.
Their mother will be entering a 30 day in patient rehab next Monday.

Hello Elizabeth, thank you for stepping up to the plate and taking your grandchildren in. You are a hero! As far as when the children should return home, it all depends on how long into recovery she is. Is this 30 day rehab her first time detoxing? Also, how long has she been an addict and what is her drug of choice? It could take up to a year before she’s ready to be the mother that she wants to be for these children. You best decision would be made by going to a counselor and getting some professional advice. It’s a long road but never lose hope. God bless you and I pray your daughter finds recovery for her own sake.

Thank you for trusting this community with your question, @ELIZABETH! Just checking in here. How are you doing now? Your grandchildren? Their mom?

Hi Katie,

My Daughter has been sober for about 70 days and has made a some movement toward a possible employment opportunity. Yay!

With that said:

She is living with my sister and my 15 year old granddaughter is living there as well. This has been and tough situation to say the least–my granddaughter is currently in therapy with a weekly appointment so this is helpful.
My daughter who is 34 years old has struggled with addictions since the age of 19. She have never wanted rehab and still does not think it will be helpful. She walked out of one treatment center this Summer after 5 days then used again. The second time this August she was dismissed for not following the rules…but she has remained sober which is great.

I have guardianship of both children but I have so many worries if they ever return to her home. There is still so much that must take place before she is really ready to be the Mother she wants to be.

@ELIZABETH 70 days is awesome! As is your granddaughter receiving professional support weekly! Celebrating these wins with you from afar!

Still you have worries, which makes complete sense. How can we support you?