Alternatives for pain management?

opiates

Loved one has legit pain. And several surgeries/procedures lined up. What alternatives to opioids are available for pain management?

I know we aren’t all doctors here, so looking for personal opinions/experience. (And any docs out there, raise your hand! :raising_hand_woman:)

Afternoon Katie,

Great questions, so prior to surgery you should have this discussion with your Doc. Sometimes its very important for healing purposes a patient is using meds to keep them in a resting state. Im not a doc , but I always tell my families you must advocate for yourself or loved one. If they have a history of substance abuse , you should disclose it right away and make sure you ask each time meds are given or prescribed. There are non opiate options, so ask! Good luck .

I (sort of) wish I could go with my dad to all his appointments, you know!? I’m not totally convinced that he’s advocating for his recovery in there. :thinking:

I have had back issues for my entire adult life. I’ve had many procedures including epidurals, and I found those to be most effective for managing pain. Followed by physical therapy regularly (and maybe a little bit of acupuncture and cupping if that’s your jam :sunglasses:). This is just addressing back pain, however there are many other options for pain management that aren’t narcotics (such as Naproxen)! I agree with @Kris_Perry_Long that this should be discussed with one’s doctor, and these days doctors are becoming more educated on pain management medication and precautions.

There are two great books I recommend for this topic:
Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection and The Mindbody Prescription: Healing the Body, Healing the Pain

Hey @Katie,

Maybe you could ask your dad to sign a release , so that you can talk with his Doctor. If he’s not ok with that you can always call the office , and as to speak with the office manager, they will tell you they can’t confirm or deny he is a patient there but you can just gently express your concerns about his past substance abuse and just want to make sure he’s advocating for himself .

Good Luck and if you need an ear always here ,

Kris

508-212-7206

Thanks @erica! Dad is a big fan of ordering off Amazon right now (that Prime shipping👌🏼) - maybe I’ll suggest these!